LANDSCAPES

LANDSCAPES
LANDSCAPES (formerly GIC) is the official educational conference for the National Association of Landscape Professionals (formerly PLANET)

My First Conference Paid for Itself

Rod Bailey, Landscape Industry Certified, Alder Springs Enterprises, LLC
Past ALCA president Rod Bailey, Landscape Industry Certified, remembers the early days of GIC. In fact, he was immediate past president when the first conference was held. “The catalyst for getting together the three major association players and forming GIC was the trade show,” he recalled. “I ran the trade show for the Green Team (ALCA and PGMS) a couple of years prior to  GIC and frankly I got tired of hearing suppliers complain about the lack of floor traffic and having to travel to a more than one trade show.
 
“Ron Kujawa was ALCA president in 1996 and it was through his efforts that ALCA, PGMS, and PLCAA joined together to create the precursor to not only what has become the industry’s premier educational conference but also its largest trade show.

At the time, Bailey was partners in Washington-based Evergreen Services, Inc. Both he and his partner had worked for a consulting firm for five years before deciding it would be interesting to actually run a company for just a few years. Those “few” years turned into 30 after which Bailey sold his company to True Green.
 
“For thirty years it was the most fun thing I could think of to do next,” he said. “Getting involved in this industry was the best decision I ever made.  There’s such great diversity and opportunity, not to mention it’s exciting to run your own company.”  

Having a background in finance and business management, the new owner lacked industry knowledge. So when friends encouraged him to attend an ALCA meeting, he obliged them. Added Bailey, “The first educational symposium I attended was several years before GIC, but it just blew me away with all the information.  While there, I learned how to save $7,000 a year on maintenance equipment alone, which was several times more than I paid for my trip.  That was the year I joined ALCA.  As a young owner, it was the best move I could have made.”

Bailey sold his company 15 years ago and resumed his consulting. “I still go to GIC,” he emphasized, “and I do for several reasons.  I enjoy seeing friends I’ve made over the years and if you’re involved in any way with the industry, GIC is where it’s at. I’m still learning, going to seminars, and attending the Breakfast with Champions.  It’s a way of keeping my hand in and staying current within the industry”.

He continued, “I remember when the first Breakfast was held. At the time, it was a way for formalize the real value of GIC, to meet new people and toss around ideas. Needless to say, the Breakfast has been and continues to be a prime attraction at the conference.”

Not to forget the catalyst, the trade show.

As he related GIE +EXPO is not only the largest green industry trade show in the country, it happens to be one of the largest shows period.  “The real interesting thing is that GIC, the educational conference, has grown right along with the show,” Bailey noted. “This is has turned into a true dual-sided event. Attendees get a double whammy for going, being able to attend both a first class conference and a first class trade show. It’s one heck of a bargain.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment